Monday, April 5, 2010

On Broadway

Broadway

Present Laughter – Fantastic! The production didn’t let me down one bit. I love Victor Garber and that entire ensemble cast was delightfully talented. The set and costumes were gorgeous pieces of art. I love the sophistication that the actors have to withhold in their characters it just adds to the mocking sarcastic nature of it all. This show is about a pompous actor and all of the crazy people involved in his life. In a way it challenges the audience to appreciate those around them, because they all serve a purpose in our lives. We may not know what it is a first but you can figure it out along the way; even if you make an mistake at first.


Favorite Scene: When Victor Garber’s character is alone in his home not knowing what to do with himself
Favorite Aspect: The Writing
Need to learn more about: Noel Coward

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock of Ages – This show was nothing like I expected it to be. Instead the normal head into a Saturday Matinee about 1:30pm and sit in your seat. Instead as you enter the theatre you get to sort of marvel at the creative minds behind the project before you even sit down. The theatre is transformed to make the audience feel like they are in an 80s rock bar. As much as the producers could do to grunge up the Brooks Atkinson theatre was done. Ushers and merch people were dressed to the fit the parts. They also served the audience drinks in your seats. (The traditional theatre person in me freaked out a little about this at first but I got over it. I understood it was part of the atmosphere they wanted to create.)

Going to this show is not your typical Broadway experience and it’s completely worth it. The show itself was fun it was like going to a rock concert. Constantine’s voice fit perfectly in the 80s Rock Balladeer type of voice required. Kerry Butler was amazing as always she proved that she can pretty much sing and fit any part. When I first heard about her doing the show I was a little skeptical because I couldn’t picture her doing Rock. Well, she sure showed me.

As for the show itself the storyline was a little choppy and underdeveloped but it worked. I found myself laughing at the cute dance number parts that reminded me that I was watching a Broadway show and not a rock concert.

If you are looking for a show that is just a fun overall good time Rock of Ages is the one to see.

Aspect: Atmospheric design
Favorite number: Here I go again
Favorite Song: More than words
Can't get out of my head: High Enough
Favorite scenes: The cute/awkward dance numbers

------------------------------------------------------------------

Lend Me a Tenor: I may have a new favorite play. This show was the type of show you’d bring the grumpiest person you can think of on a rainy day where they woke up on the wrong side of the bed and defy them to try and not to have a good time. People were in stitches the basically the whole show; literally they were rocking back and forth in their seats.

It was a Farce so lots of doors slamming and timing was of the utmost importance- Comparable to Boeing Boeing. The characters were beautifully acted out by one of the most talented ensemble casts that I’ve ever seen on stage. You could tell that all of them were familiar with the art of live theatre – none of them seemed to be out of their element on stage. I was most pleasantly surprised by how talented Justin Bartha (Doug, The Hangover) is. Jennifer Laura Thompson was the token Broadway starlet in the show. It was nice to see her in non-singing role it still involved her comedic flare but she was really great. I was really jealous of her costumes. Speaking of costumes this show had some of the most beautiful costumes I’d ever seen in my life. The story is the classic underdog destined for greatness and on the way hilarious complications happen.

There is so much more I can say about this show but I won't... You'll have go out and experience it for yourselves.  : )

Favorite Scene: Too many to name
Favorite Aspect: Costumes - hands down
Need to learn more about: Farces

No comments:

Post a Comment