Tuesday, March 9, 2010

An experience filled with can'ts and don'ts?

The other day I started thinking about my first theatre experience seeing Beauty and the Beast when it first moved to the Lunt-Fontanne theatre. Someone told me that there were snipers up in the ceiling so if you talked or misbehaved at all they’d shoot you (I think it was my brother). Needless to say I was glancing at the ceilings and very well behaved that whole day.


Fast forward about 15 years or so the world has vastly changed but the rules of theatre etiquette have stayed the same for the most part. I’d hate to say it, but what an awful place to bring teenagers to. They can’t use their cameras, phones, or use their iPods. Traveling along that thought path a bit more to tourist or people who have never been the theatre before who are unfamiliar with the rules. People bring cameras everywhere wanting to remember their experiences and cell phones keep everyone in touch with the outside world. As soon as they pull out a camera at least two Ushers are ready to pounce on them which can be embarrassing and taint their otherwise wonderful experience.

I feel like the theatre experience needs to move from the place of can’ts, and don’ts, so that people can have a more relaxed enjoyable experience. Possibly making those individuals even want to come back more often. Times are changing and it makes me wonder if there is a way to change the theatre experience with them. A balance would have to struck in order to make it more current (for the younger audiences) but still enjoyable to the existing audience. Rock of Ages is the only show bold enough to sort of try this by transforming the Brooks Atkinson Theatre into a Bar like atmosphere from the moment you walk in. The show itself is eh (it lacked storyline) - what makes people want to go back is the rock concert environment.

Oh and I figured out the snipers in theatre ceilings was a myth in time for my second Broadway Show – Jekyll & Hyde at the Gerald Schoenfeld theatre formerly the Plymouth Theatre (which it was at the time).

I know, I know long time no post - I've been a slacker, but keep looking out for new ones; I have a lot in the works. :-)

(Please forgive typos I'll copy edit soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment