Wednesday, December 16, 2009

For Janine...Thanks for reading!

Bye Bye Birdie
I am a firm believer that any show is worth seeing because you never know if there is something that you can learn and take away from it. Well, I didn't learn any life lessons from this show, but it was entertaining. The show certainly did what every show should do in my opinion; which is give its audience a two and half hour break from their everyday lives. Bye Bye Birdie is a show that was conceived purely to entertain and it does its job well. However the problem I see is that the show is dated to a point that it is not really relevant right now. There were parts that could have been modernized and given a fresh spin but this production didn’t seem to take too many liberties.
The good thing was that there were a lot of kids in the audience due to Conrad Birdie being played by Nolan Gerard Funk. Allie Trimm & Matt Doyle were fantastic in this production! I also saw Bill Irwin's understudy Jim Walton as Harry and he was a great talent to get the chance to see.

Bottom line - The more sophisticated theatre goers may not like this show because it's so simple and there is nothing really special about this production. To be honest I expected more, but my Mom really like it so I was happy with the show because of that.

Favorite aspect: Costumes...?
Favorite number: Honestly Sincere
Favorite Song: How Lovely to Be a Woman
Can't get out of my head: Bye Bye Birdie...and of course We Love You Conrad
Favorite scene: When they are on The Ed Sullivan Show
Talent to watch out for: Brynn Williams

2 comments:

  1. Souds like you enjoyed it! This is actually the only good review of Bye Bye Birdie that i've seen. I haven't very many positive reviews for this show. Thanks for posting and happy holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays to you as well! :) Hope it's a great one!

    ReplyDelete