Friday, September 30, 2011

Catch Me...

It's been so long since I've been able to post. Alas it'll be a short one...

Catch Me if You Can - I was so excited for this show, and i'm sorry to say that it was kind of a let down. It had so much potential, but there was an element of confusion to what the show's purpose was. To educate & inform? To entertain? To showcase talent? The first time I saw it I noticed that the show attempted having heart underlining it, but seem to land just shy of one.

The show had all the makings of a blockbuster...Jerry Mitchell, Jack O'Brien, the producing team of Hairspray...Mark Shaimam & Scott Wittman... My cast of favorites - Aaron Tveit, NORBERT LEO BUTZ, Tom Wopat, & Kerry Butler.  I mean how could it have gone so wrong?

It was confusing because I wanted so badly to like it. The music was great. The set wasn't fancy - which is something I could get used to. The lighting was impressive. It had the fun, upbeat feel of Hairspray. It wasn't as glitzy though.

I think the book needed some retweaks before it opened. The movie was able to show us the man that Frank Abigale(sp?) Jr. character had become and the show was only was able to talk about. We were able to see in the movie that Carl was able help Frank make the decision to fix his life. I think that's the part that makes the true story of Catch if you Can so amazing. The song Good Bye expresses that but it feels like the character is only singing that because he got caught. The show is ending and he wants to leave on top.

Interesting to think about.

I did love the performances though. Aaron Tveit gave his all both times that I saw it. - Will someone give his guy a Tony Nomination already?? Norbert Leo Butz just proved why he'll be written about as one of the great Broadway Actors of our time. Kerry Butler brought the house down with her 11 o'clock number. Fly Fly Away is a beautiful song. I think my favorite is Good Bye though.

No comments:

Post a Comment